Life seems to become busier the moment the school doors open! Traffic increases, there are more pedestrians and cyclists, and school buses are back on the road.
When your child leaves for school, the number one priority is to make sure they get home safe! So, as the new school year starts up, our injury prevention team has some questions for families to consider in order to make this school year as safe as possible:
Does your child…
- Cross at crosswalks or corners?
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing in front of stopped cars?
- Walk to and from school with a responsible person until they are at least eight years old?
- Arrive at the bus stop early and stand back from the road while waiting?
- Wear bright or reflective clothing if they are walking to and from school in the dark?
For a full list of back-to-school safety questions, visit the Northern Health Matters blog.