BAD BREATH (Halitosis) is often caused by plaque bacteria in your mouth.
Plaque bacteria can be removed by Brushing your teeth, Brushing your tongue and Flossing.
Breath mints, chewing gum and mouthwashes only cover up bad breath for a short time .. they are not a cure.
Regular brushing and flossing clear up most cases of bad breath
Bad breath may also be caused by:
- not drinking enough water
- smoking or chewing tobacco
- some foods
- some illnesses like ulcers or a sore throat
If you have bad breath that won't go away, talk to your dentist or dental hygienist.
Do you have Gum Disease (gingivitis)? It can happen at any age. Early warning signs include:
- red or swollen gums
- gums may be tender
- bleeing when you brush or floss
- bad breath
Checklist for a healthy smile... what YOU do and don't do matters!
- Choose fresh fruits and vegetables when you eat on the run
- Drink water for thirst
- Limit snacking
- Wear a Mouth Guard for SPORTS or other activities in which your mouth may be at risk of inury
- If you do smoke or chew tobacco, consider quitting
The warnings about smoking and chewing tobccoand are true. Besides lung and heart problems, tobacco can cause oral cancers.
- Keep up with your dental check-ups
Dental cleanings, fluoride treatments and sealants help prevent dental problems.
- Brush morning and night with a fluoride toothpaste.