"Prevention pays! We work to improve the health of people in the North by preventing illness, promoting healthy choices and protecting public health."
Northern Health offers many Preventive Public Health and Public Health Protection programs. Information and resources can be found in the Public Health and Environmental Health sections. Also, visit the HealthLink BC Files for regularly updated fact sheets on public health and safety topics.
Preventive Public Health:
- Supports healthy growth and development
- Fosters healthy lifestyles
- Helps to protect the public from health risks
- Works to prevent illness and injury
- More detailed information on specific Preventive Public Health programs are on the Overview page.
Preventive Public Health programs are delivered by a wide array of health professionals, including:
- Public Health Nurses
- Speech Language
- Dental Hygienists
- Administrative and support staff
- and many others...
Public Health Protection:
- Protects the health of northern communities in BC
- Works to reduce health risks to the public
- Educate people about public health issues
- Monitors facilities and developments
- Enforces health legislation
Find out more about Public Health Protection on the Environmental Health page.