Primary health care includes the basic health care services that people access through primary care providers such as family doctors and nurse practitioners.
Primary health care is about:
- Prevention and health promotion services and supporting people to be well (disease and injury free);
- Supporting people and families to manage chronic disease, like diabetes or high blood pressure;
- Supporting people and families to take a more active role in their own care (patient as partner approach);
- Effective use of the expertise of all health care professionals; and
- Efficiency and coordination in service delivery.