Mental Health & Addiction Community Programs
Mental Health & Addictions Community Program
3412 Kalum St.
Phone: (250) 631-4202
Fax: (250) 631-4282
After Hours or Emergency Line: (250) 638-4082
The Mental Health & Addiction community programs offer services that include a combination of functions with interprofessional teams, as well as some specialty services, i.e. Developmental Disabilities Mental Health (DDMH), Acquired Brain Injury (ABI), etc. Youth addictions counselling and referral, elderly services counselling, early psychosis, eating disorders, vocational and recreation rehabilitation is also available at most community Mental Health & Addiction programs.
Community programs provide assessment, treatment and referrals for adults with mental health and/or addiction problems. The range of services include:
Adult Addiction Day Treatment Program
4542 Park Avenue
The Adult Addiction Day Treatment program provides a client centered approach to wellness. The program focuses on assisting individual’s to achieve greater responsibility for their individual recovery, provides access to resources for on-going support and uses the harm reduction model to promote quality health and well-being.
- Age group: 19+
- Provides a continuous intake
- Staffed with nurses and clinicians
- Provides programs for clients with addictions or concurrent issues in a group module format
- Recreational/leisure support
- Nutrition education
- Does not provide individual case management
- Works in collaboration with community partners: MHAS Case Managers, Native Friendship Centre, Needle Exchange Programs, and Community Supportive Recovery beds etc.
- GP’s provide some client support (sessional time)
- No psychiatry services are available for this program at this time.
Inpatient and Intensive Services
Adult Psychiatric Inpatient Unit (PIU)
Mills Memorial Hospital
Adult Psychiatric Inpatient Units are designated psychiatric facilities which are able to provide care to people certified under the Provincial Mental Health Act. The units offer an interprofessional team approach to care, and liaise with community services to ensure continuity of care when patients are discharge to the community.
- Terrace: 10 beds
- Regional programs
- Age group: 19+ (will admit youth if necessary)
- Services the NH Region, resources to outlines areas
- Provides crisis stabilization, assessment, consultation and brief treatment and discharge planning
- Group work focused on Psycho-Social Rehab model
- Provides services for all psychiatric diagnosis including concurrent with Addictions
- Provides the gateway for Provincial Tertiary Services
- Admission: via emergency dept, Mental Health and Addiction community services or Physicians
Adult Residential Services
Adult residential services are available at a number of locations and provide a varying level of care for adults with mental health or substance use issues.
Tertiary resources provide 24/7 rehabilitation and residential care for adults with severe or persistent mental illness. Psychogeriatric tertiary residential services provide 24/7 elderly tertiary rehabilitation and residential care.
In collaboration with Mental Health & Addiction team leads, the resources are managed through a Northern Health Mental Health & Addiction Tertiary Resource Utilization Coordinator which provides a system of bed management across Northern Health.
3183 Kofoed Drive
Phone: (250) 635-2171
Fax: (250) 635-7057
After Hours or Emergency Line:
Birchwood Place provides a beautiful, peaceful home like setting. It is an eight bed facility offering 5 short stay beds to Northwest Mental Health and Addiction clients, and 3 beds for regional tertiary specialized housing. The facility is offers 24-hour staffing providing life skills to residents based upon the principles of psychosocial rehabilitation and best practices, in order to promote independence of individuals with mental illness.
- Structured environment
- Short stay programming of 6 to 8 weeks requires that the resident have housing to return to upon discharge from the program.
2815 Tetrault St.
Phone: (250) 631-4121 or (250) 631-4123
Fax: (250) 631-4129
Seven Sisters is a 20 bed residential & recovery facility located adjacent to Mills Memorial Hospital. This facility offers 24-hour staffing and a complement of interprofessional health providers. Staff provides supportive care, life skills teaching and education for clients with mental illness and addictions.
Seven Sisters has professional staff who are dedicated and truly enjoy making the residence a wonderful and supportive home for clients working on their recovery goals. It is a program where there is ongoing evaluation to find creative ways to strengthen and grow. It is a program that offers clients the ability to find new opportunities and to make choices based upon their personal beliefs and values. An ongoing goal is to provide an atmosphere, a home, where clients are able live and feel safe.
For additional information on other local, provincial, and national resources, below are links to HealthLink BC, the Ministry of Health Services, and BC Mental Health and Addiction Services.