Positions for 2017 will be posted February 7-14 on the ExpectMore careers page. Please see the resources section below for more information.
The purpose of the ESN program is to provide an opportunity for student nurses finishing their second or third year of a BScN or RPN program to develop into the role of a professional nurse through the following:
- Engaging in summer employment within NH patient care areas
- Developing interdisciplinary teamwork and communication skills
- Consolidating previously learned concepts/skills in the nursing program
- Taking advantage of opportunities to connect theory with practice
Criteria for Employment
- Registration in a recognized nursing education program
- Successful completion of 2 or more years of a BScN or RPN program
- Able to provide proof of successful completion of all courses in current year of nursing school
- Ability to gain Employed Student Registration with CRNBC once hired
- Able to provide proof of Certification in Basic Cardiac Life Support
- Currently resides in British Columbia or Alberta or have a residence there
If you have any questions please email EmployedStudentNurse@northernhealth.ca.
"Being an ESN is one of the most valuable experiences we get as students. It gives us a chance to not only learn and experience more than we would in our clinical rotations, but it provides us with the opportunity to take control of our learning by choosing areas of interest to further develop our knowledge and skills. I feel much more prepared to enter the workforce because of the extra experience I gained as an ESN."
"The ESN program is very helpful to prepare (you) for what nursing is, and (how to) start learning to problem solve on your own. The program also helps you to identify what your strengths and weaknesses are and the areas in need of improvement."
Please carefully review the required education, training and experience listed in the available job postings for ones that are suitable for new graduate nurses. Those who do not meet the basic qualifications will not be considered.
Visit the ExpectMore website to create your online profile. Do this as early as possible so you are ready to apply for a position when they become available.
Once you create a profile, the system will send you an email for you to activate your account. This has to be completed within seven days from creating your profile. If you do not receive an email, please check your spam/junk mail folder. If you do not complete this task within the seven days, you can go to the website and try to sign in; it will give you the option to have the system resend your activation email.
For detailed information on creating a profile and applying for positions, please refer to our External On-line Postings Manual.
For any questions please contact email@example.com
Northern Health's Professional Practice department continues to assist newly hired health care professionals with their transition to professional practice through our New Graduate Transition Program. Funding is used to provide orientation, transition workshop attendance, education and supernumerary shifts to health care professionals who are in the first year of their career.
The goals of the New Graduate Transition program are:
- To create early relationships with students and communicate career opportunities and growth within NH
- To offer resources around new graduate transition to both new graduates and staff at the sites. This includes workshops for new graduates, mentor development and website information
- To support new grads and staff in opportunities for mutual learning
- To offer professional development funding for new graduates who need supernumerary shifts, extended orientation and training
- To provide a program based on continuous quality improvement through yearly program evaluation and revisions as required
The program is open to health care professionals that are within one year post graduation and are newly hired into regular, temporary and casual positions in general and specialty areas. Applications are available through Professional Practice once you have been hired.
For more information please contact NewGraduateNurse@northernhealth.ca