For snowmobilers and ATV riders alike, Northern BC offers unlimited opportunities to explore the beautiful backcountry!
Riding a snowmobile or ATV can be an exciting way to experience the outdoors, but these activities also include some risk.
Almost 1/4 of all ATV deaths and more than 1/3 of all serious ATV injuries occur in children under 15. And sadly, every winter we hear about backcountry snowmobilers getting caught in avalanches.
Northern Health Resources
Some tips to riding safe:
- Wear a helmet
- Get trained
- Ride sober
- Drivers should be over 16 years
- Only carry passengers when the ATV or snowmobile is designed for two
- No passengers younger than 6 on a snowmobile
- No passengers younger than 16 on an ATV
- Tell someone where you're going and when you'll be back
- Ride on trails whenever possible
- Be aware of risks such as avalanches or poor weather conditions
- Take avalanche training
- Carry a safety/survival kit