According to the BC Children's Hospital manual:
- Fasting for infants 0-1 year old is on a feed-to-feed basis
- Fasting for children 1-16 years old is 8 hours
Please consult your physician regarding child fasting. This information does not take the place of instructions received from your physician.
General fasting for adults is usually between 8 and 12 hours prior to sample collection -- please follow your physician's instructions.
- Clear fluids other than water
- Gum/candy (including sugarless)
- All foods
- Smoking/Chewing Tobacco
- Sucking on ice chips is recommended to maintain hydration
- Sips of water are allowed
- Pills/insulin are allowed -- please consult your physician for additional information
Please speak with your physician if you are unsure about your own fasting.
- D-Xylose Tolerance
- Glucose Fasting
- Glucose Gestational - Confirmation (Gestational Glucose Screen is not fasting)
- Glucose (2-Hour)
- Glucose (5-Hour)
- HDL Cholesterol
- Lactose Tolerance
- LDL Cholesterol
- TIBC (Total Iron-Binding Capacity)